All research funded by these fellowships must be conducted by September 30th, 2020. Funding for fellowships for US citizens is provided by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State through a grant from the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC). When available, funding for fellowships for non-US citizens is provided by AIPS unrestricted funds. All applications will undergo a competitive review. The review committee may prioritize applicants who have not received an AIPS fellowship in the past two years. Please see the information below for eligibility requirements and award details.
• Fellow must be an AIPS individual member in good standing at the time of application and throughout the tenure of this grant • Research must be at least 2 months and less than 9 months; AIPS reserves the right to shorten the duration of research, pending availability of funds. 1) Post Doctoral Fellowship (Senior Fellowship) A. If US Citizen: • Research can be proposed to conduct research in Pakistan only (Islamabad and/or Lahore),
• Research can be proposed for countries other than Pakistan and the US (cannot submit an application for Pakistan or the US + another country) B. If not a US Citizen: • Research can be proposed for Pakistan only,
• Research can be proposed for countries other than Pakistan and the US (cannot submit an application for Pakistan or the US + another country)
• NOTE: There are limited funds in this pool 2) Pre Doctoral Fellowship (Junior Fellowship) Note: Pre-doctoral means completed all requirements of PhD except dissertation A. If US Citizen:
• Research can be conducted in one or more countries
• No travel to Pakistan
• No research in the US B. If not a US Citizen:
• Research can be conducted in Pakistan or other countries
• Research to Pakistan cannot include research in any additional countries
• No research in the US
• NOTE: There are limited funds in this pool Additional information:
• Spouses and dependents cannot travel with fellows to Pakistan. All expenses for spouses and dependents must be borne by the applicant.
• All fellows who are conducting research in Islamabad and Lahore are expected to stay in the AIPS guesthouses overnight (i.e. no overnight trips outside of Lahore or Islamabad). Please contact AIPS if you have questions about this restriction.
• Fellowships must be completed in one trip (no breaks allowed)
• AIPS Fellows must follow AIPS travel restrictions
• If proposing research in a country other than the US or Pakistan, the proposed country cannot have a current State Department Travel Restriction: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html
The amount of the ECA-funded stipends will be comparable to Fulbright Awards and will be determined by the Fellowships Committee based on availability of funds not to exceed rates as defined by the US State Department. Please be aware that there are limited funds for research proposals for non-US Citizens. To Apply: Please sign up for an account and then complete 'eligibility,' so you can see what awards you are eligible for. Then select the relevant AIPS fellowship. Application Link: https://orcfellowships.fluidreview.com/ Deadline: February 1, 2019 Note: AIPS has a new policy regarding Board and Executive Committee Members applying for fellowships. If you fall in this category, please read the policy HERE. Note: All applicants will need to submit a budget that is reasonable and appropriate to the project. Budgets should include economy airfare, stipend, lodging accommodations and other research-related expenses. Please visit our FAQ page with any additional questions.