FAQs for Visiting Scholars

I am a postdoctoral scholar. Am I eligible to apply?

Yes, scholars holding a postdoctoral appointment at other institutions are eligible to apply and may be designated as “Visiting Postdoctoral Scholar.” This visiting appointment at Stanford would be concurrent with the primary postdoctoral appointment.

I would like to apply to be a visiting scholar for a short-duration (<90 days). Can I apply off-cycle?

Visiting Scholars usually stay at Stanford for an academic year. If your proposed visit is short, you can apply off-cycle using the same form and application process above. Please note that short-term visitors are not issued a Stanford ID card and do not receive free access to athletics facilities or free library borrowing privileges (access only).

I am in the process of applying for external funding (e.g. Fulbright). Can I still apply to be a Visiting Scholar pending grant acceptance?

If grant notifications are expected after the deadline, you may apply for a Visiting Scholar appointment. Indicate on your application form pending grant applications and expected decision dates. If selected as a Visiting Scholar, CSA may provide official letters of support for grant applicants if needed. However, appointment as a Visiting Scholar is conditional on securing sufficient funding for the duration of the proposed research visit.

I have a tourist visa or am eligible for a visa waiver. Can I enter the US as a tourist?

Visiting scholars are expected to engage in a collaborative activity or research, and their appointments should benefit the university. The Department of State precludes such visitors from entering with a B-1 visa, which allows only for “independent” research, not collaboration. Foreign scholars requiring a visa must therefore enter on a J-1 visa.

How long does the J-1 visa process take?

The visa process typically takes 3-6 months but can be longer depending on the case.

Would I have an office space or computer/IT equipment?

We cannot guarantee office space. If available, we may be able to provide a desk in a shared office space or a carrel in an open space. Visiting scholars are advised to bring a personal laptop or computer. We are not able to provide computers or IT equipment. However, tech support is available to connect you to the Stanford network and printing facilities.

Can CSA provide staff/clerical support or help finding housing?

CSA provides support for processing Visiting Scholar appointments with the University and connection with the CSA community. We can direct scholars to available resources but CSA cannot provide administrative or financial assistance related to research or personal expenses, mailing, postage, office supplies, housing, transportation, IT equipment, etc.

Please email Associate Director Lalita du Perron (lalita [at] stanford.edu (lalita[at]stanford[dot]edu)) with any further questions.