Stanford Global Studies Minor with a Specialization in South Asian Studies
The Minor in Global Studies with a specialization in South Asian Studies presents you with a significant opportunity to scaffold your interest in and knowledge of South Asia. This track allows you to focus on South Asia while locating your work within larger global conversations. Please look below for more information.
- Completion of 28 units that includes GLOBAL 101: Critical Issues in Global Affairs (3 units).
- Completion of at least 25 units of South Asia-related courses.
- 20 units in various courses that preferably together represent an area of interdisciplinary focus such as immigration and law; urbanization and film; history and culture and so on. Each course (with the exception of BOSP courses) must be at the 100-level or higher.
- Language requirement: Intermediate proficiency in a South Asian language by either one of the following means:
- Completion of two introductory language courses in a South Asian language (Urdu, Hindi, Persian, Bengali, Pashto, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Gujarati, Malayalam, Garhwali, Nepalese, Tibetan, Sindhi, Sanskrit, and others may qualify).
- Intermediate proficiency in any of the above languages, as measured by the ACTFL scale.
- A capstone experience in South Asia such as study abroad, field research, an internship, or another example of sustained and serious involvement in South Asia such as a research paper. The specific program must be approved by the Center for South Asia Associate Director. Students will present their work in an end-of-year Capstone Seminar with other SGS minors and led by SGS faculty.
How do I declare a Global Studies Minor with a Specialization in South Asian Studies?
- Set up an appointment with Lalita du perron. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is mandatory that you register with this advisor.
- After your meeting register through Axess and select the Global Studies Minor.
- If you encounter any problems with declaring in AXESS, you may submit a SUHelp request to the Registrar’s Office.
Visit the Global Studies Minor page to view all of the specializations.