Center for South Asia, Stanford University
Research and Language Fellowships
The Center for South Asia is pleased to announce two fellowship competitions. The language fellowship is open to both graduate and undergraduate students.
- The Graduate Student Research Fellowship is open to Stanford University doctoral students in humanities and sciences, and graduate students in Stanford's Schools of Business, Education, Engineering, Law, Earth Sciences and Medicine. Six fellowships of up to $5000 will be awarded for expenses related to summer research in South Asia. All research proposals must be for research that will be carried out in South Asia.
- The Center for South Asia’s Language Fellowship is open to all Stanford doctoral students in humanities and sciences, graduate students in Stanford's Schools of Business, Education, Engineering, Law, Earth Sciences, Medicine, and undergraduate students. This intensive language fellowship may be used for study in the U.S. or abroad. The proposed course of language study must be integral to the applicant's academic development and/or research. Priority will given to students in need of language skills for research and to training in languages not offered on campus or for advanced training in languages where the student has exhausted campus resources. The course of study must be six weeks or more and must meet or exceed 140 contact hours for beginning and intermediate and 120 contact hours for advanced language instruction. 3-4 Fellowships up to $3000 will be awarded under this category.
- A Service Fellowship is to a student who has arranged their own partnership to work with an organization in South Asia.
Applicants may apply for all fellowships, but can only be rewarded one. Please apply for each fellowship separately.
AWARD Requests must be for expenses that are not covered through other sources of funding. Applicants may simultaneously apply for other sources of funding, but may not accept multiple sources of funding for the same expenses. The itemized budget should clearly list sources of confirmed and/or pending funding.
Applicants are required to submit two complete application packets for review by the selection committee, including:
- A cover sheet (please find attached)
- Curriculum vitae of no more than 2 pages.
- A 3-4 page project proposal describing the research or language program to be undertaken, its relevance to South Asian Studies, and its significance for the student's research and academic development. For language study applicants, please include a brochure or program guide from your intended institution/organization and verification that the hours of instruction meet or exceed the guidelines.
- An itemized budget specifying overall project costs, amount of funding requested from the Center for South Asia and sources and amount of confirmed/pending financial support for the project. For the pending financial support, please indicate the date by which funding decision will be announced. If you are ineligible for other financial support, please explain why.
- One letter of reference for the applicant's primary faculty advisor.
- A current transcript (copy accepted).
Deadline: March 19, 2015
Applications can be mailed to:
Center for South Asia
Encina Hall West, Room 216
417 Galvez Mall
Stanford, CA 943